Larissa - Out of Europe

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:47 pm

I was waiting for this moment to come. We all start jumping up and down and creaming our pants at the start we've had but it was bound to turn sour sooner or later. Let's not get too worried, we have the return leg to look forward to and I am confident we are a professional and quality enough side to turn them over by 3 or 4 goals at home. It's just a shame we haven't managed to get an away goal.

This is a minor slip-up and I am positive we will bounce back rather than self-destruct which we have been known to do in the past.

Head Rover Heels
Valued squad member

Post by Head Rover Heels » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:55 pm

Hmm. Not too worried in general, but i think this could be Europe over with. No away goal, 10 men to beat - I remember thinking we'd be able to sort Bayer out last year at home.

Still, domestic treble here we come!! ;)

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:57 pm

Hmm. Well that's not particularly good.

Willy
Ageing international

Re:

Post by Willy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:19 pm

Head Rover Heels wrote:Hmm. Not too worried in general, but i think this could be Europe over with. No away goal, 10 men to beat - I remember thinking we'd be able to sort Bayer out last year at home.

Nah man, we can overcome this team (although I remember thinking the same before kick off :-? ) But Larissa are no Leverkusen and we have a far stronger side than last year. I am confident we will go through. Although it would be pretty disastrous if we didn't considering all the expectation surrounding us at the moment.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:21 pm

Well, that was the worst performance I've seen under Hughes. We were absolute rubbish, and I cannot figure out how players I know are quality can play so badly. I'd give them a score out of minus ten, but really I can't think of a player who only deserved to be given minus nine. I didn't think I'd see a Mark Hughes side play with such a lack of professionalism, yet we were careless, complacent and showed no signs that we wanted to get back into the game. The first goal was a fluke, and sometimes you've got to take that. But Emerton deserves a major bollocking for the back pass, having convinced us all that he was a footballer after all, and in reality, Larissa deserved to win by more. It's a long time since I've felt this disappointed after a game, but I really cannot think of anything positive to say. But, as the commentator said, we're not out yet, and we can't possibly play as badly in the second game. Can we? :cry: :x

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:28 pm

Thankfully I didn't see any of the game so I have to remain more positive than the ones who did. It is a little embarrassing though. :oops:

Let's just hope that they didn't get so much of a bollocking that it has the reverse effect and we end up losing to Pompey at home, now that WOULD be embarrassing.

BarmyArmy75

Re:

Post by BarmyArmy75 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:57 pm

Willy wrote:
Head Rover Heels wrote:Hmm. Not too worried in general, but i think this could be Europe over with. No away goal, 10 men to beat - I remember thinking we'd be able to sort Bayer out last year at home.

Nah man, we can overcome this team (although I remember thinking the same before kick off :-? ) But Larissa are no Leverkusen and we have a far stronger side than last year. I am confident we will go through. Although it would be pretty disastrous if we didn't considering all the expectation surrounding us at the moment.
It was easier 2 beat Leverkusen cus we only had one goal to score but with Nonda on the pitch there were no chance. But dat wer easier than this now, we have to score 3.

roverJ
New signing

Post by roverJ » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:13 pm

Well, Hughes certainly didn't underestimate Larissa. He put out the best team he could, and I respect him a lot for that. No idea what went wrong. Missed Samba that bad? Players too tired? Effect of travel times? None of those sound like particularly good excuses.

I guess sometimes you just have a bad day at the office.

Border Rover
New signing

Post by Border Rover » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:39 pm

Three words: we was pathetic. Emerton shocked me most, he's usually so comfortable at RB

tomthebodz
Regular international

Re:

Post by tomthebodz » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:30 pm

I think that were bad although I'm only basing that on the internet commentary on the official site.

TheManInYourHeads
New signing

Post by TheManInYourHeads » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:41 pm

Worst i've ever seen us play

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:59 pm

It was only when I saw a picture of sparky on the bench that I was convinced I was not watching Souness' Rovers in Genclerbirligi :-?

DunnFC
Regular international

Re:

Post by DunnFC » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:22 am

Rover the Moon wrote:It was only when I saw a picture of sparky on the bench that I was convinced I was not watching Souness' Rovers in Genclerbirligi :-?
I was thinking the exact same thing.

How will we line up in the next game 4-3-3? Anyone going to it? Im well up for it i want revenge.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:47 am

Er...no, I'd go with our usual 4-4-2 and just PLAY better. Or indeed at all.

If it wasn't for Brad last night it could have been 4-0. :|

doz_magic_man
Valued squad member

Post by doz_magic_man » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:19 am

It was a shit day at the office, end of story. Hughes knows that and the players know that. 2-0 isn't impossible to overturn and when we play on a pitch instead of a jungle I'm confident we can do it.

Some of the overreactions on the official board are comical. Some people are saying we made a mistake in not selling our top goalscorer this summer. :roll: :roll: :roll: