Wii, 360, or PS3?

There must be more to life than football?

Wii, 360, or PS3?

Total votes: 0

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: Wii, 360, or PS3?

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:07 am

iamarover wrote:
Jim wrote:GTA4.
booooooo, i really want to play that as I loved San Andreas on the PC but I'm not going to buy a console just for the one game.
It'll be ported to the PC, just not alongside the initial release.

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:11 am

HOORAY!

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:31 am

The latest revisions of the 360's are using a new chipset which is far more stable. No real defence for microsofts corner cutting on the original version of the console, but under pressure from consumers and trade watchdogs they've made decent enough steps to address the problems with the extended warranty.

The 360 has done what the PS2 did and established a huge catalogue of quality titles. Plus they've got some measure of backwards compatibility, which PS3 have dropped on the latest revisions of their machine.

PS3 - for the price is too expensive considering the only exclusive games I'm interested in on it are Motorstorm, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, and Little Big Planet.

If you want a PS3 - try and find one of the 60gb models if you can - the 40gb and 80gb are just cut down neutered versions to bring the price down.

This whole thing about 'serious games' is bollocks. There's no such thing. Most games are pitched to appeal to 10 - 30 year olds - and sophisticated graphics and effects are no substitute for gameplay.

The Wii has a few interesting shooters on it that arguably work better than on a PC OR one of the other two consoles. Metroid Prime Corruption, and Resident Evil 4. Both of which show how the control can be utilised beautifully.

It's not a fault of developers not having ideas on how to best utilise the control, as a developer myself I can tell you we're continually playing with interesting game modes and control methods - but publishers (who control the purse strings) always want to play it safe. Original game's are canned all the time because marketing guys can't be arsed to find a way to market them to an audience that they believe just wants racing games, sport sims and shooters. Ideally, if a games good enough it markets itself by word of mouth, but this rarely happens. The commercial failure of beautifully realized games such as Ico, Beyond good and evil, and Psychonauts are a testament to that. If a game doesn't match the marketing departments idea of what is right for a console ie...wii = kids, fun, minigames, 360 = shooter, sports, driving, then they just can't be arsed. And as I can see from Jims response earlierneither can the public.

The Wii could be the best console of all three if publishers would just stop trying to marginalize it. :(

RoverWithALimp
Regular international

Post by RoverWithALimp » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:18 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
RoverWithALimp wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:By that, do you mean have no qualms about breaking the law? :scratch:
Erm... No i dont believe i said that...?
Read my post again, you'll see I was asking a question about what you meant, not saying you said anything... :numpty;

I thought you were implying you had a 'chipped' machine... after all, you openly admit you watch all your football on illegal internet streams, you can't say it wouldn't be in character... :whistle;
Well its either that or listen to the radio... :mrgreen:

Nope PS3 isnt chipped...