Current Events/News

There must be more to life than football?
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Current Events/News

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:24 am

Gibbon wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:08 pm

And your point about schools being closed putting elderly relatives at risk through child care doesn’t really hold up if those kids are no longer coming into contact with anyone else to catch it in the first place.
Yep, so let's isolate kids from their working parents too, because that's a pretty obvious way in which they could be exposed to the potential if infinitesimal chance of catching this illness. :yeahright:

Closing schools would be fine if all the schools had measures in place to continue educating all children remotely. The problem is, it seems to be a lottery as to whether your kid gets lessons or not. We've got two teenagers studying A-Levels at different colleges; one college has been on the ball since the start with online classes, but at the other, they don't seem to have any structured lessons for kids studying at home, they're kind of left to study on their own. I hear that's the problem across the country. And with younger kids, I'm not even sure how effective it would be if no one is able to sit down in the same room as them.

The problem with the last 10 months has been this tunnel vision of tackling the virus as though the only thing that matters is minimising the number of people who die within 28 days of a positive test (see what I did there?). But that cannot be the only consideration, we need to carry on living through and after the pandemic. If we stop educating children, that will do wider and more long term damage than Covid-19 ever will.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:04 am

Dan wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:09 am
Rover the Top wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:54 am
Last time I tried 111 was during the first lockdown, little one had had a cold-like illness for a few days and was really struggling to breathe. The person on the phone said we shouldn't take her in, they'd send out an ambulance. It turned up 2 days later... By which time little one was over the worst and the ambulance crew kept moaning about why had we asked for an ambulance.
Wow. That's appalling. We had similar breathing issues and that's when they had the ambulance with us in a matter of minutes, it was on the way as soon as we mentioned breathing problems. Half an hour later we were sat in A&E on a Friday night with a baby wearing an oxygen mask, which was a horrible experience on quite a few levels. Having said that, it was probably over a year ago now, before Covid, and back when 111 was a better service.
As a footnote, had a much better experience with 111 over the weekend. Little one woke late at night, feeling cold. We took her temperature, got a reading of just over 35 from 3 attempts. Seemed unbelievable, so we wrapped her up warm, and tried again after a little while. Two different thermometers gave readings of under 35, so I rang 111. Took 5 minutes of messages about covid before I got the chance to select an option saying it wasn't covid related, and I was surprised the option to say it was for an under-5 had been taken away. Ten minutes later, I got to speak to a real person, who asked me to wake little one. She took quite a while to wake, and so the guy sent for an ambulance, which he said would be given high priority. Fortunately little one had woken by this point, so I wasn't totally freaking out, but I was remembering the last time.

Anyway, the ambulance was with us within 5 minutes. The medic took her temperature, and it came back normal, much to our confusion. He then tested our thermometer, and got a sub-35 reading. Turns out both our thermometers don't work properly anymore, which apparently happens after a while. :doh: But this time the medic was perfectly pleasant about it, said we weren't to know the readings were wrong and we'd done everything right.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:07 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:24 am
:

Closing schools would be fine if all the schools had measures in place to continue educating all children remotely. The problem is, it seems to be a lottery as to whether your kid gets lessons or not. We've got two teenagers studying A-Levels at different colleges; one college has been on the ball since the start with online classes, but at the other, they don't seem to have any structured lessons for kids studying at home, they're kind of left to study on their own. I hear that's the problem across the country. And with younger kids, I'm not even sure how effective it would be if no one is able to sit down in the same room as them.

It's also not just the schools capability, but the families in which those kids live.

Remote home education will absolutely widen the wealth gap. I know of families who have one device for their three kids to learn on; which one do they choose to take the lessons? That is, if they can even get online in the first place, as they don't have the bandwidth to support the kids accessing classes and their parents working at the same time.

And what of those parents that are on zero hours contracts delivering shit to people? Do they take their kids out in their vans with them? Or do they get their grandparents to look after them, knowing full well that they come into contact with plenty of people during the day, just as much as in a school.

Ir's easy to sit in an ivory tower working from home with a 350MB broadband connection wirh a laptop each or whatever, the reality for most is that's simply not the case. At the end of this, their kids will be further behind, further lacking in social skills, and even less likely to get a job in a world where jobs are disappearing fast.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:02 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:07 pm
Rover the Top wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:24 am
:

It's also not just the schools capability, but the families in which those kids live.

Remote home education will absolutely widen the wealth gap. I know of families who have one device for their three kids to learn on; which one do they choose to take the lessons? That is, if they can even get online in the first place, as they don't have the bandwidth to support the kids accessing classes and their parents working at the same time.

And what of those parents that are on zero hours contracts delivering shit to people? Do they take their kids out in their vans with them? Or do they get their grandparents to look after them, knowing full well that they come into contact with plenty of people during the day, just as much as in a school.

Ir's easy to sit in an ivory tower working from home with a 350MB broadband connection wirh a laptop each or whatever, the reality for most is that's simply not the case. At the end of this, their kids will be further behind, further lacking in social skills, and even less likely to get a job in a world where jobs are disappearing fast.
Indeed, had meant to add there isn't provision for all those kids to actually receive the lessons. If it was possible, we'd just need one central education programme beamed out to every home and these teaching unions will get to see their members not needing to work on a permanent basis. :yeahright:

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:49 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:04 am
Turns out both our thermometers don't work properly anymore, which apparently happens after a while. :doh: But this time the medic was perfectly pleasant about it, said we weren't to know the readings were wrong and we'd done everything right.
That's odd, had no idea about that.
Back when pubs were open I was sat in one and the landlord was taking the temperature of everyone who came in with a temperature gun. It read 34 every single time and everyone was happily waved in. He was also quietly thanked by a local for fishing a girl's phone number out if the test and trace box the week before :? :lol:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:18 am

Dan wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:49 pm

Back when pubs were open I was sat in one and the landlord was taking the temperature of everyone who came in with a temperature gun. It read 34 every single time and everyone was happily waved in.
Brilliant, just show's a little knowledge is dangerous... "Well it seems you've all got hypothermia and need urgent medical attention, but it's not Covid so come in and have a pint first..."
He was also quietly thanked by a local for fishing a girl's phone number out if the test and trace box the week before :? :lol:
I know you said "when pubs were open" - are we talking about the 70s? :shock:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:44 pm

Why bother fishing it out. Just install the NHS covid app on your phone and let them sync up together....

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:13 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:44 pm
Why bother fishing it out. Just install the NHS covid app on your phone and let them sync up together....
The NHS covid app syncs up with a box full of pieces of paper? :shock:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:49 pm

Via a manually entered excel spreadsheet print off. Posted to head office for reentry there.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:15 am

Do as we say, not as we do.

I guess that's what happens when you make up a load of ambiguous contradictory rules that don't seem to serve the intended purpose anyway.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:22 pm

Depends whether he rode there or not. If he did, it's fine, if not... we'll it's still fine, but advised against.

Was amusing listening to Carney ambush Cressida Dick over it this morning though.

The craziest thing there is that Matt Hancock thinks you can go for a walk and legitimately end up 7 miles away from your house.... all within that one hour window you're allowed for exercise....

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:33 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:22 pm
Depends whether he rode there or not. If he did, it's fine, if not... we'll it's still fine, but advised against.
Yet police elsewhere in the country have been handing out fines for people doing just that. The lockdown guidance says it is law, not advisory, and you will be fined for being outside your home without a reasonable excuse.

The problem is, they've left it full of ambiguity and contradictions. So on the one hand, taking a 14 mile round-trip bike ride as exercise is permissable. Even driving to a park to access open space to exercise is permissable, although it's not defined how far a "short distance" actually is.

On the other hand, it says you should not travel beyond the part of the city where you live, and it's difficult to see the necessity in going to a park 7 miles away when others are closer to home. Cycling is referred to as both a form of exercise and a method of travel, there's no mention that cycling beyond your area for exercise is allowable when it's not for travelling. You can cycle for 14 miles whilst staying within a 1-mile radius of your home if you just go round in circles.

No doubt we're supposed to use common sense, but the ridiculous thing is that it would be more beneficial to allow people to travel further to find deserted parts of the country where they can exercise without seeing anyone else.

I noticed another funny contradiction: you can only leave to shop for basic necessities, but non-essential retail are allowed to run click-and-collect. So is it legal to pick up what you've bought from Argos or not? :shrug:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:17 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:33 am
mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:22 pm
Yet police elsewhere in the country have been handing out fines for people doing just that. The lockdown guidance says it is law, not advisory, and you will be fined for being outside your home without a reasonable excuse.

Exercise is a reasonable excuse. And the Derbyshire police have rescinded their completely unreasonable fine.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:28 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:17 pm

Exercise is a reasonable excuse. And the Derbyshire police have rescinded their completely unreasonable fine.
I think you'll find there's stipulations on where and when exercise is deemed a "reasonable excuse".
Official Government Guidance wrote:You may leave the home to exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person, this should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
Derbyshire police rescinded the one fine that made the headlines after Boris' little excursion, they say they are reviewing others. But they were only applying the above direction from the government. It says everything that even the police don't understand how the law is supposed to be applied.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:38 am

"Local area" isn't any kind of legal definition, if they meant Local Authority Area they could say that. Prior to Johnson's bike ride, the NPCC had already clarified that there was no legal distance that was enforceable; and the precedence for that was already set by the first lockdown.

The chief of the Met Police also stated leaving your front door and returning to your front door is fine.

The clear indication is that you shouldn't travel to start your exercise; I.e. get in your car and drive a long way. It's perfectly possible to ride 20 miles on a bike in an hour: are cyclists supposed to craft some weird route to lap inside their post area?

You're just buying into newspaper twaddle.