Martin Taylor breaks Eduardo's leg

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Martin Taylor breaks Eduardo's leg

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:20 am

I see what you're saying about 'heat of the moment' comments, but surely even if you're wound up, you know where to draw the line? You don't see managers effing and blinding in post-match interviews, it's part of their job to be composed enough to answer questions in a professional manner. But Wenger is always quick to accuse others of sinister intentions, and it makes me wonder what he tells his own players.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:28 am

A retraction can never be sufficient by its very nature... simply because the damage by suggesting for example a lifetime ban in this case is already done... and nothing after the event can stop that having been said.

that said an apology was in order... and none was offered.

Head Rover Heels
Valued squad member

Post by Head Rover Heels » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:41 pm

Precisely where my confusion comes from.

The "French Professor" should know better than to make comments as he did, but then again, he should know better after nearly every game's post match interview.

In context, he actually didn't go overboard about this one, and said less than I expected him to when you compare it to what he has come out with about previous matches. At least this time he has realised that he could be ruining another players career by his comments - Tiny doesn't seem like the sort of bloke to take this kind of thing particularly well.

My confusion about how i feel about it comes from any potential duty of care from the reporters - Wenger was always going to have something to say about this, and giving him the opportunity to speak so soon after an intense and frustrating last few minutes was guaranteed to bring up something a little, hmm, unsavoury. (And as for Fabregas throwing his tuppence in, well, need i say any more). Wenger should really (in my opinion) have apologised, but at least he has made a statement to play down his outlandish claims - No it doesn't make up for what was said, but it's better than nothing.

I was happy to read that Bendtner has jumped in and spoken up for Taylor - He at least knows the lad well enough to speak about his character, and pretty much backs up what any Rover or Birmingham fan knows about his temperament.

furryfootball
New signing

Post by furryfootball » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:14 pm

I see that Arsenal are hoping to have Eduardo back by December. Good luck to him, hope he can return to his best.

blackburn35
Promising youngster

Post by blackburn35 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:06 pm

i have gone to youtube to look at the incident and there is something on there about copyright infingement so the only video you can see is one that is only 18 secs long. having seen that all i can say is that Taylor did not look very sympathetic. He was throwing his arms up, like every soccer player does, like he doesn't deserve to be carded. And then when he is he just kind of sighs and rolls his head back. I don't know what his reaction was later but if it were me i would be down by Eduardo apologizing over and over and apologizing to the Players and after seeing the injury i know it would have moved me to tears knowing that i may have ended a persons career. i saw none of that from Taylor, but then again i only saw the 18sec version.

blackburn35
Promising youngster

Post by blackburn35 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:35 pm

blackburn35 wrote:i have gone to youtube to look at the incident and there is something on there about copyright infingement so the only video you can see is one that is only 18 secs long. having seen that all i can say is that Taylor did not look very sympathetic. He was throwing his arms up, like every soccer player does, like he doesn't deserve to be carded. And then when he is he just kind of sighs and rolls his head back. I don't know what his reaction was later but if it were me i would be down by Eduardo apologizing over and over and apologizing to the Players and after seeing the injury i know it would have moved me to tears knowing that i may have ended a persons career. i saw none of that from Taylor, but then again i only saw the 18sec version.
I might add compare the eduardo incident to when Lawrence Taylor (that's ironic) snapped Joe Theismans leg like a twig. LT jumped up and was waving to the sidelines for the medical staff and putting his hands on his head and going over to Joe as he lay on the turf. obviously moved by what he had just done. again, i saw none of that from Martin Taylor.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:00 pm

blackburn35 wrote:
blackburn35 wrote:i have gone to youtube to look at the incident and there is something on there about copyright infingement so the only video you can see is one that is only 18 secs long. having seen that all i can say is that Taylor did not look very sympathetic. He was throwing his arms up, like every soccer player does, like he doesn't deserve to be carded. And then when he is he just kind of sighs and rolls his head back. I don't know what his reaction was later but if it were me i would be down by Eduardo apologizing over and over and apologizing to the Players and after seeing the injury i know it would have moved me to tears knowing that i may have ended a persons career. i saw none of that from Taylor, but then again i only saw the 18sec version.
I might add compare the eduardo incident to when Lawrence Taylor (that's ironic) snapped Joe Theismans leg like a twig. LT jumped up and was waving to the sidelines for the medical staff and putting his hands on his head and going over to Joe as he lay on the turf. obviously moved by what he had just done. again, i saw none of that from Martin Taylor.
Don't be stupid. Taylor hadn't seen the extent of the injury. As far as he was concerned it was 'just another challenge', as a defender he makes countless challengers every game. And as many people have suggested, the foul would not have even warranted a red card in a lot of games, so of course he was going to look disappointed at being sent off.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:41 am

Joe wrote:
blackburn35 wrote:
Don't be stupid.
I second that. Blackburn35, you're as bad as Wenger. Having seen him come through our youth team, we should know better than anyone that Taylor hasn't got a nasty streak - he's not like Neill or Todd for example. Who knows what was going through his head as the red card was shown, there's a fair chance he wouldn't know the extent of the injury and was gutted to be sent off for a clumsy late challenge. I thought he looked just as shaken as everyone else in his reaction, but he's not allowed to stay on the pitch apologising, is he? And even though it was clearly a horrific accident, he will be cut up about it.

In any case, it's only a short while ago you were complaining how 'soft' footballers were...

EDIT: saw the incident again on SSN last night :( , clearly Taylor is apologising to other Arsenal players as the red card is shown, and he didn't protest about being sent off as you claim he did. He was checking on Eduardo as the clip ended.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:01 am

Sepp Blatter's getting involved where he doesn't belong again.
I agree with Alex McLeish on this one.
Blatter wants to examine the Blues defender's leg-breaking challenge on the Arsenal striker and could try to extend his three-match suspension.

Blatter said last week: "It is shocking when you see how this player was attacked, it's not football."

McLeish said: "Why is he talking about it?

For me, there could be a hidden agenda here and he is having a go at the English game for being too robust.
"He is in a job just now where if he were to look at every tackle every week in every European game, he would be out of a job because he would have to ban everyone.

We wouldn't have any football and Sepp would have to do something else. It is disappointing a man of that standing is saying things like he is. He is in the game because of football and teams and the way it is. For him to say that is poor for a man of his stature.

The people who know the game know it wasn't a malicious tackle, simple as that."

RoryoftheRovers
Regular international

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:50 am

Oh my god have you seen the picture of when eduardo broke his leg? I hope taylor gets banned.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:00 pm

RoryoftheRovers wrote:Oh my god have you seen the picture of when eduardo broke his leg? I hope taylor gets banned.
Sarcasm I assume

RoryoftheRovers
Regular international

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:14 pm

never assume it makes an ass out of u and me.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:14 pm

In this case, just you :D