Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news

Benni or Roberts? : )

Poll ended at Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:59 pm

Total votes: 0

RoverWithALimp
Regular international

Benni or Roberts?

Post by RoverWithALimp » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:59 pm

Just curious after todays match, and compared matches played this season and the impace on games...? :lol:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: Benni or Roberts?

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:02 pm

Both are viable members of the team. We have four main strikers and all four of them appeared in today's game.

And surely one goal isn't that much of a deal for you to suddenly have a complete u-turn on wanting us to sell Roberts for financial reasons the entire season...

:bored:

RoverWithALimp
Regular international

Post by RoverWithALimp » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:12 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Both are viable members of the team. We have four main strikers and all four of them appeared in today's game.

And surely one goal isn't that much of a deal for you to suddenly have a complete u-turn on wanting us to sell Roberts for financial reasons the entire season...

Erm... Dont know where you picked that one up... I have been slagged off allover the place for wanting to keep Roberts and sell Benni actually. No U-Turn there im afraid!

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:14 pm

RoverWithALimp wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:Both are viable members of the team. We have four main strikers and all four of them appeared in today's game.

Erm... Dont know where you picked that one up... I have been slagged off allover the place for wanting to keep Roberts and sell Benni actually. No U-Turn there im afraid!
Fair enough, apologies. Must just be everyone else on here wanting shut.

I don't see why it has to be an either or anyway. We need all 4 of our first team strikers.

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Dr Rover » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:18 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
RoverWithALimp wrote:

I don't see why it has to be an either or anyway. We need all 4 of our first team strikers.
I'm not too sure most people want to see the back of Roberts. He is a vital member of our squad, and showed today how he can have a positive impact on games. However, for whatever reasons, Hughes is using him more from the bench, and that is not agreeable to Roberts. I am of the opinion that if Roberts wants game time, and we cant give him that, then it would be better for him, and untimately the club to let him move on. If players in the squad are unhappy, that can start to spread, and that isnt good for anyone.

However, in an ideal world, we would keep all 4 front line strikers and all would be very happy at the amount of game time they were getting.

RoverWithALimp
Regular international

Post by RoverWithALimp » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:20 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
RoverWithALimp wrote:

Problem is, Sparky is giving Benni the benefit of the doubt in hoping his form will pop up suddenly and he will start smashing in beauties like last season. This is leaving Roberts out in the cold when he does have a very real impact in games...

I can understand why Roberts is getting anoyed. For example vs Sunderland (or Derby), he was left out the squad completely. Now anyone his age in footie can loose his rythm if not playing regularly.
Benni has been given more than a fair chance to get back his form IMO, now we should give Roberts a run with Benni on the bench...

I still think the best way to go is to sell Benni and bring in someone and give our other 3 a chance between themselves. Maybe use the money to bring in a younger striker and a decent central midfielder. It's a risk, but thats what footies all about isnt it!

Thats my opinion and i dont expect anyone to agree, just be gentle :lol:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:22 pm

RoverWithALimp wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:
RoverWithALimp wrote:

Problem is, Sparky is giving Benni the benefit of the doubt in hoping his form will pop up suddenly and he will start smashing in beauties like last season. This is leaving Roberts out in the cold when he does have a very real impact in games...

I can understand why Roberts is getting anoyed. For example vs Sunderland (or Derby), he was left out the squad completely. Now anyone his age in footie can loose his rythm if not playing regularly.
Benni has been given more than a fair chance to get back his form IMO, now we should give Roberts a run with Benni on the bench...

I still think the best way to go is to sell Benni and bring in someone and give our other 3 a chance between themselves. Maybe use the money to bring in a younger striker and a decent central midfielder. It's a risk, but thats what footies all about isnt it!

Thats my opinion and i dont expect anyone to agree, just be gentle :lol:
As much as I like Roberts, and think he deserves to stay, this IS the first goal he's scored this season, and he has had chances....

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Dr Rover » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:27 pm

RoverWithALimp wrote:

You see, i cant see why you would want to get rid of a proven goalscorer, just so you can give unproven goalscorers a chance. Benni is proven goalscorer at all levels, so why get rid of him and take a CHANCE on someone else?

RoverWithALimp
Regular international

Post by RoverWithALimp » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:28 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
As much as I like Roberts, and think he deserves to stay, this IS the first goal he's scored this season, and he has had chances....[/quote]

To be fair with the guy, he has been used for 10-15 minute sub appearences mostly, and hasnt had a string of games to get going.

If asked the same question about Benni, would you say the same, that he has had his chance etc...

I know Benni has a history of scoring more goals in a season, but if given a chance, you never know, this could be Roberts prime season! ;)

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Dr Rover » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:30 pm

RoverWithALimp wrote:
To be fair with the guy, he has been used for 10-15 minute sub appearences mostly, and hasnt had a string of games to get going.

If asked the same question about Benni, would you say the same, that he has had his chance etc...

I know Benni has a history of scoring more goals in a season, but if given a chance, you never know, this could be Roberts prime season! ;)
I think McCarthy has something lik 8 goals this season, that is pretty good really, for this stage of the season. Especially since Roque is banging them is as well

RoverWithALimp
Regular international

Post by RoverWithALimp » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:34 pm

Dr Rover wrote:
RoverWithALimp wrote:

I think McCarthy has something lik 8 goals this season, that is pretty good really, for this stage of the season. Especially since Roque is banging them is as well
How many of those have been penalties.
All im saying is, when you have a player doing well such as Roberts, you cant afford to antagonise him by not playing him...

We should play Benni for a few games, and then play Roberts for a few... Not squad rotation, but have a striker rotation to keep everyone happy...

This im saying of course because i dont think we will sell Benni... Im still all for selling Benni...

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:35 pm

RoverWithALimp wrote:
How many of those have been penalties.
All im saying is, when you have a player doing well such as Roberts, you cant afford to antagonise him by not playing him...

We should play Benni for a few games, and then play Roberts for a few... Not squad rotation, but have a striker rotation to keep everyone happy...

This im saying of course because i dont think we will sell Benni... Im still all for selling Benni...
Still have to score the penalties. I really don't see the point in selling a quality player. If you want to sell someone, sell the rubbish; Mokoena etc. Yet when we did that with McEveley and bought a really cheap player to operate as the cover in Berner, everyone moaned....

Roberts has hardly been doing well - he's just not been given a decent chance. He scored a good goal today, but he misses plenty. When you compare Benni's goal tally to other clubs, and take into account he's our 2nd top scorer - well there are teams who's top scorer have scored less.
Last edited by mrblackbat on Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Dr Rover » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:36 pm

RoverWithALimp wrote: All im saying is, when you have a player doing well such as Roberts, you cant afford to antagonise him by not playing him...
How can you say Roberts is playing well? Today was his first goal of the season, and whilst whenm he has come in he has done ok, he hasnt been exceptional.

Gouldy
Valued squad member

Post by Gouldy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:40 pm

Roberts is a player i have mixed feelings about. Sometimes i love him, sometimes i hate him. But i think we should do all we can to keep him at the club until summer, or if we get an offer we cant refuse for him. Same goes for Benni

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:43 pm

Dr Rover wrote:
RoverWithALimp wrote:

You see, i cant see why you would want to get rid of a proven goalscorer, just so you can give unproven goalscorers a chance. Benni is proven goalscorer at all levels, so why get rid of him and take a CHANCE on someone else?
Going back to the debate in the other thread - if the motivation to get rid of McCarthy is the fact he's 30 and his value will start to decrease, why is it a different case for Roberts when he's only a couple of months younger?

I'd happily keep both, I think both have different qualities and both will get goals that the other wouldn't. But I don't think Roberts has had much to complain about, he's been kept out of the side because of fitness issues, there's every chance he'd have been a regular if it wasn't for injuries.