Rovers vs. Doncaster, FA Cup: Post-match

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Rovers vs. Doncaster, FA Cup: Post-match

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:00 am

WacoRover wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:34 pm

I said give him to the end of the season. That’s enough time.
Enough time for what? We're in a league where anyone can beat anyone on any given day. What exactly are you expecting him to be able to do between now and the end of the season that will suddenly make us the dominant force over sides that are more or less our equals on paper? If you think we can do it, what stops the other 23 teams from making that improvement too and maintaining their positions? By and large, our resources are fixed for the rest of the season, and it would be pot luck if we managed to bring in a few signings or find some gems in our youth team that can significantly improve the team overnight.

We were one result away from finishing 9th last season, are the lines of success and failure so clear cut that one game out of 46 can decide whether someone keeps their job or not? Targets should be set over seasons, not games.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:17 pm

I go back to my original question: Why was there no FA Cup match thread? Are people here not interested in the FA Cup, or simply bored of a stagnating team that is not achieving as much on the pitch as it’s probably capable of? On typical game days, we get 13-14 posts here. Apparently, we’re not exactly blown away by the club.

The owner, President, & manager of the old Philadelphia Athletics was a man named Cornelius McGillicuddy (Connie Mack). In 1901 he was 39 years old when the club started, and he had huge success in the early years. But, the club stagnated, and he sold every promising young player to make ends meet. By the time he stepped down in 1950- 50 years of running the club- they had not won the American League in 20 years. But, he managed more games, and had more wins and losses than anybody in history, and probably anyone ever will.

We can keep Mowbray on. He is the senior manager in the Championship. He has a certain amount of professional skill, appears to be a gentleman, is a likeable sort, etc. if he stays long enough, he will set records at Blackburn Rovers. But, if it’s all mid table in the Championship, it’s doubtful many fans will want to witness it. Even Benitez & Mourinho go stale.

Y’all are probably right, he’s as good as it gets around here. But I’m afraid not all Rovers fans are as content with him as y’all are.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:29 pm

That's OK, you're the one that suffers :D

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:20 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:17 pm
I go back to my original question: Why was there no FA Cup match thread?
Looking at match threads over the season, most are started by Thor, otherwise they're started by yourself. Now if you didn't start one this time because you're fed up of the manager, that's your business. But you can't claim it proves anything about anyone else - had you started one as you're normally inclined to do, you'd have probably got the same amount of chatter. :shrug:

I note you don't have an answer for what improvements you think are realistically achievable before the end of the season. Unsurprising. And this assertion that we'd stand still forever by keeping the same manager holds no weight. You mentioned Wycombe, look how they've gradually climbed the tables by sticking with the same manager for 8 years. At times their progress slowed, or they slipped back a bit, but overall they're better off. Accrington Stanley are an even better example. Not wanting to stand still is exactly why we should keep Mowbray, allow him the time to keep rebuilding, and drop this petulant attitude that a handful of underwhelming results undo all prior success. We'll be stronger for it in 3 or 4 years time. Whereas going for some hail mary pass that a new manager will suddenly make our players like Liverpool's will more than likely propel us towards relegation again.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:24 pm

RtT,
In my 4th post, I said when we get Nyambe back, & if Mowbray picks up a couple of backs, we could see some real progress, especially if Dacky & Travis can give the scoring a boost. Rovers could be a handful to other clubs, if we can continue to score, while improving the defending.

However, I’m not in favor of loaners- that’s no long-term answer. Cunningham & Adarabioyo were both great additions, But we can’t get excited when we know that they won’t be around long. Ayala and Douglas have been underwhelming this season.

If I’m looking at a building plan, I would consider Wolverhampton. They were relegated the same year as Rovers, and even dropped to League 1, as we did, but are back up & thriving, not just surviving. Santo is a smart guy, tactically & personnel-wise, & nailed it with Portuguese players. But, that was his way, not necessarily the only way. I also think Santo was hired about the same time Mowbray was, so y’all might be right we may be very close to achieving something special.

Our best finish since relegation has been 8th. We are capable of that this season, maybe better, if the above materializes, & we can get lucky & stay healthy, who knows?

Hey, I’m just happy to get some discussion going here again.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:29 pm

Also, Thor is much better starting threads, polls, etc. I just start ‘em if I see time is running short.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:45 am

I didn't start one because I was working midnights this week, and all my creativity was spent on thinking about Stoke.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:47 am

Maybe we should sack the thread starter. I mean is the consistency there? Maybe some fans expect better.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:19 am

:o

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:53 am

I don't.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:50 pm

I’m still not in favor of loaners; however, with three centre-backs out, we needed immediate help. Branthwaite provides that.

Who knows, all these teenagers enthusiasm may be just what Rovers need for a late season surge! We can hope...

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:45 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:50 pm
I’m still not in favor of loaners;
Why forever not?

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:56 pm

Loaners are a band aid, a temporary fix. We’re not building for the future with them. As great as Harvey Elliott is, at the end of the season, he goes back to Liverpool. We could never afford him. Cunningham was doing a good job until he got hurt, back he goes. Adarabioyo was our best back a year ago, we couldn’t afford to keep him. We replaced those loaners this year- with more loaners. Ayala & Douglas have been far off their performance this year, we won’t lose much when they return to their clubs.

Isn’t that why we have an Academy, to develop players for the future? Develop our own players, and go get transfers if needed.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:46 pm

Get transfers? We can't afford to buy players of that quality and if you say no to loaning them in the short term, they end up at your competitors.

The rich clubs can afford to have bigger academies - and they are 'bigger' clubs, they are by their nature more attractive to the kids and parents - and therefore generally have the best youngsters coming through.

Opting out of taking high quality loans from bigger clubs is just voluntarily hamstringing yourself against the other teams in your league. The loan system might absolutely suck, there is an argument to be made there, but while it exists in its current form then we are obliged to take an active part in the market as a requirement of remaining competitive.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:49 pm

Our Academy is doing great. I’m excited about the U23’s... currently 2nd in PL2, behind Chelsea. Not to rush anybody through the system too fast, but we’ve already seen some good results from our system- Travis, Lenihan, Nyambe, JR-C, to name a few.

Some people gripe about what was spent on Gallagher & Ben, but they forget about Arma & Dacky. And, Kaminski was a great value, imo.

I like our nucleus- if we can keep these guys intact (& fingers crossed to no more injuries), we ought to be in good shape the rest of the way.

I just want to see improvement- I’m not demanding promotion. Tony can win some fans back, if we steadily win points, and climb the table a few spots, putting us in position to challenge for a playoff spot. I think this is a reasonable expectation by season’s end. I cannot imagine a scenario of us falling further back on the table.