Millwall V Blackburn Rovers, Sat 12 Jan, KO 17:30

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

How do you tame The Lions?

With Dack in attack.
13%
An angry Whoop of Gibbons.
No votes
Igor Tudor and his trusty Kestrel.
No votes
A gang of Arable Farmers with pitch forks.
No votes
Raw scraps of meat in the finest Nordic bakeware.
25%
GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN, BUILD A WALL. YUUUUGE. SAD.
63%

Total votes: 8

mcteeth
Ageing international

Millwall V Blackburn Rovers, Sat 12 Jan, KO 17:30

Post by mcteeth » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:24 pm

Easy game to get to for me. Feels winnable on paper and certainly hoping for us to go there and get something, but then we've not always been great against the seemingly poorer sides in the league. Out of the current bottom 6 we've only beaten Bolton and that was a scrappy 0-1 with a number of draws where we should possibly have done better, Ipswich, Reading and Rotherham in particular.

You know what to expect playing against Millwall and we have tended to struggle against more physical sides and I'm sure Harris will have worked on restricting Graham and Dack. We certainly had the better of them in the second half at Ewood in the 0-0 so would be nice to get a win.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Re: Millwall V Blackburn Rovers, Sat 12 Jan, KO 17:30

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:54 am

Rovers have proven after a return to the championship that they are good enough to stay in this league. It will be nice to keep a ten point or more gap to those who will be playing League One next season so we can have a stress free second half to the season. No real activity in the transfer market so far this month means Tony Mowbray isnt worried about the strength of the squad. Harrison Reed has been confirmed as staying until the end of the season. News on the injury front looks slightly better with Davenport/Gladwin making progress and with the emergence of Lewis Travis things overall are looking comfortable. As for todays game a win is always welcome a draw acceptable but a defeat would be a definite failure. We can forgive defeats against teams who occupy the golden ticket places to the Premiership but with Decembers horrible fixture list now gone Rovers can look forward to a slightly easier run of games. The last two games have been encouraging and with the rematch against Newcastle coming up and maybe Watford after that there is still plenty to play for. With a favourable run of reults in January who knows there maybe more than just something to play for. Last season Fulham where not much better off than Rovers in January.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Totally forgot this was at an unusual time. Got all excited just to wait an extra 2 and a half hours.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:38 pm

Joe Nuttall is the man up top today. Rodwell in for Mulgrew. Brereton, Armstrong, and Graham all on the bench.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:12 pm

Also of note is Danny Butterworth on the bench as well. Technically 4 strikers on the bench.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:26 pm

Rather drab first half. No shots on goal by both sides. Neither side has full control of the match. Much more of a midfield battle and who can make that critical pass through.

Nuttall isn't great but isn't terrible. He had made some decent runs, but his first touch needs a lot of work still. Wouldn't be surprised if Graham or Brereton make an appearance come 2nd half.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:18 pm

Guys, I’m in the Fort Lauderdale airport, returning to Texas from my retirement trip my wife planned for me. Biscayne, the Everglades, Key West, the works.

Everything has been wonderful; a point or three today would only help to escalate my mood. Go, you Rovers!

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:19 pm

Oh my... :D

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:24 pm

Instead of conceding late, Rovers finally taking charge late. In a big way.

And a clean sheet. I am greatly pleased with this result.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:31 pm

I have suspected all along that Nuttall and Armstrong were Rovers best chance of scoring. Look what happens when you substitute that waste of time Dack :D

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:34 pm

Darth Rover wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:31 pm
I have suspected all along that Nuttall and Armstrong were Rovers best chance of scoring. Look what happens when you substitute that waste of time Dack :D
Ha ha.

And great to see the youngsters scoring. I love Danny, but time is not in his favor. And, Dack cannot do everything (what a dumb thing to say, sure he can! :lol: )

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:44 pm

Nuttall in the right place at the right time to take that deflection. Armstrong's goal was a piece of work too.

Overall very pleased we changed the fortune of losing in the last minutes to scoring goals in the last minutes. Solid result.

Only complaint if Bell. Gave away too many easy passes and possession.

MouseTrap
New signing

Post by MouseTrap » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:51 pm

Madness what happens when strikers are up top

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:22 am

Great win, brilliant 3 points, excellent clean sheet....terrible game!! :D

Ultimately the 2 bits of quality came from rovers and who was instrumental in them both....yup, that man Travis! Now I’m going to be interest in what TM does now that Smallwoods suspension is over. Travis has arguably been our best player in the last 4 games so dropping him in unthinkable (surely?!)

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:07 am

Great win after an uneventful 80 minutes. Very typical of a championship game as there was nothing between the teams for most of the match and could always go either way.

But finally the first moment of real quality saw us take the lead. Brilliant one two with Travis and Armstrong. Then a quick fire second as Millwall pushed forward to get an equaliser, lovely composure from Armstrong.

Was funny as I thought Nuttall had spent most of the match looking somewhat like a young inexperienced academy player who wasn’t having enough of an impact. But then grabs himself a goal so really pleasing.

Gaz I was saying exactly that walking away from the ground about what Mowbray does with Smallwood now back from suspension. Will be very disappointing to see him drop Travis.

Hopefully was okay looked like another injury to his face. Sounds like stitches in the eyebrow.