Ipswich Town v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 4 August 2018, KO 15:00

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

If the beat goes on...

It goes on and on
15%
The arable farming technique to till up the land for some mighty crops
8%
Kestrels flying overhead will dedicate their flight to Igor Tudor's tutiliage
8%
Potters will pot Nordic bakeware to bake casseroles in
15%
Poo flinging gibbons eventually find consciousness and ascend to the top of the pyramid
31%
A banana
15%
Eventually it will stop
No votes
8%
I have many beats. My beats are the best beats. They beat any other beat that beats. They are beats, that beat. Big beats. Ocean beats. And let me tell you, they go on. These beats go on, and on. Nobody has ever stopped my beats, they kept beating. So when I say I have the best beats, I mean it. They are the best beats. That is why I am issuing an executive order to fulfill my promise of the beat going on, and to Make Beats Great Again!
No votes

Total votes: 13

Murder in Room 229
New signing

Re: Pre-Season Matches

Post by Murder in Room 229 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:55 pm

I was looking for a match day thread for next Saturday but seems you haven't provided one just yet. Not a problem, it's that our own website already has supplied one for next weekends fixture. Yes, I'd agree, it seems a bit premature.

Anyway, that victory over Everton was quite outstanding. Yes they're not the team of previous years and have lost their way in recent time to some extent but take nothing away from your own players, a three goal win is impressive and sure you'll provide our own team with a number of problems next Saturday.

Not for me to say it, but Blackburn could have a real challenge for promotion this (or is it next ?) season, I don't know, seems you have a good blend of players and a winning mentality and with a good start and momentum, could make a run for the automatic promotion places. We will of course, try to prevent that from happening when you come down to visit next weekend. It should be a good test of Paul Hurst's capabilities in his first game for us.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Re: Pre-Season Matches

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:11 pm

Match thread you say?

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Ipswich Town v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 4 August 2018, KO 15:00

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:29 pm

A new start to a new league.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Re: Ipswich Town v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 4 August 2018, KO 15:00

Post by theadore » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:16 am

Very excited by the game changing new poll direction.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:21 pm

Interesting dynamic to our opening game given that Hurst knows all about our squad and how we play.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:50 pm

Welcome back, 229; you always have thoughtful posts. I am always glad when you visit here.

Regarding our roster, Dack & Mulgrew are very good players at this level, IMO. Graham can score. Raya has been consistent. Nyambe & Lenihan are good young players. Smallwood, Williams & Bell can play. Conway has always been a great passer, might be a bit old now.

I am more satisfied in our defending than attacking. I am not sure either of our first team additions will make significant contributions. I trust TM to make personnel changes, but only 2?! I admit I’m a bit anxious.

Oh well, its nearly time for the new season to begin. Lets get it started!

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:07 pm

I'm sure he's going to be great but Dack is unproven at this level so it is going to be up to him to step up to this level and he has the ability to do so. It feels as though we have a very solid base of a side as I think Raya is only going to get better, Lenihan and Mulgrew is an accomplished centre back pairing at this level and Nyembe I personally think is destined to become a very good player. Personally I also can see Bell overtaking Williams as our preferred choice at left back this season.

Across midfield although Smallwood was brilliant this season his time in the chamiponship was with a struggling Rotherham side. But we have Evans, Bennett and Whittingham who are very capable at this level as well as the emergence of Travis and Tomlinson. Then we have the addition of Davenport who could prove to be a very shrewd signing.

Attacking midfield we of course have Dack and also Palmer who should be a quality addition, along with Rothwell who needs to make a big step up to this level and we're yet to really see anything from Gladwin.

The only concern for me comes with strikers as we only have Graham who will be 33 in a couple of weeks, then Samuel and Nuttall. It's clear that Mowbray is working hard to get another striker but that needs to happen. Graham can score goals at this level easily but he is old, can't play every minute of every game and isn't going to be running in behind and stretching defences. Samuel and Nuttall are young with potential but aren't proven at this level.

Effectively we've lost the best part of 20 goals in Antonsson and Armstrong, not saying I'd sign Antonsson as he faded somewhat but they both provided us with striking options and chipped in with goals which need replacing. Graham, Dack and Mulgrew provided over 40 goals between them last season and it would be some feat if that were to happen again this season.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:29 pm

Good assessment.
Have to say I think Travis will before long command a regular place - energy,strength and aggression, not unlike Savage. I agree entirely re Nyambe - he is beginning to look a class player.seems an inch taller and a stone heavier than last year. After Dack and Lenihan,Nyambe is probably our biggest asset. Even if Samuel comes on a bundle, we badly need cover at cf, plus we only have Conway and Bennett as wingers.
Chapman and Armstrong would fit the bill precisely.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:26 pm

Yeah I don't think it has gone overlooked but I rate Nyambe as one of the best players in our squad and you're right in terms of the vultures circling it would be him along with Dack and Lenihan that I can see attracting the most interest in the future. He's only 20 still and just looks a stronger, powerful and pacey right back.

I'd hate for us to end up in another Mahoney situation with Travis with him being frustrated at not playing ahead of someone like Evans who is more often miss and than hit, likewise with Mahoney wondering why he wasn't playing ahead of someone like Feeney.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:19 pm

Our managers seem to have the same problem as England managers , just won't give the youngsters their head. Yes, they make mistakes, but speed and can fitness can cancel this out. We have so many promising kids, yet as you say, the likes of Evans and Whittingham, and before them, Guthrie and Williamson, will seemingly always get the nod over the youngsters.
England had youngsters on the bench, but even on the nonsense match for third place we had to suffer the jaded Kane and the misfiring Raheem Sterling while Loftus Cheek and Alexander Arnold watched in frustration.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:13 pm

At the moment would be well happy with a draw. Get a point on the board. Remain unbeaten. If we get a striker through the door and at least on the bench for this game then I would say we have a real chance of winning. At the moment I can’t see us scoring more than 1 goal so draw or defeat looks more obvious to me. Get a striker on the bench. Tell Graham to work his normal 110% for 60 mins. Bring new striker on and get the win.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:31 pm

Yes, I'd take a draw now, particularly bearing in mind that it's years since we won our opening match.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:42 pm

If we can't get a striker in this window, a lot of weight needs to be shouldered by Samuel on being up top alone. I don't think he can operate well as a lone striker, but that is how he will have to play if there is no one brought in.

Right now I am hoping that the Nmecha rumors are true and we can get him in on loan. Otherwise, I don't know who is a priority over Chapman and Armstrong at the moment. Would like to have them back for the security of depth in the squad, but if Mowbray can find more experienced, proven Championship players then so be it.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:30 am

Obviously reducing the discussion to 2 players is a bit daft... but surely Armstrong is the pick. Chapman has been more injured than not for the last 2 seasons... not that he isn't worth the risk, but not a safe bet either.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Not really daft when you consider Mowbray has filled 3 of his 6 requested additions. Obviously still is going after an experienced central defender, plus still finding a winger and/or forwards to add to the squad. He is even stated he would like to add competition at goalkeeper.

Rovers clearly have a lack of depth up top and on the wings, but have a surplus with midfield and defenders. I believe we need to focus on signing a forward and a winger to make sure that when injuries and suspensions hit, we aren't depending on players that are not good.